Monday, October 6, 2008

I Survived St. George

I survived and finished the St. George Marathon this past weekend. I guess I'm the one with bad luck with the weather because it rained for my first SG Marathon. Not just a little, but the entire 26.2 miles. And, did I mention that we also had a head wind of 10-12mph? FYI, the last time it rained for a SG Marathon was 23 years ago. My luck! Anyway, even though I was soaked to the bone I endured and finished. I think my shoes are still wet. I was not pleased with my time of 3 hr. 57 min at the moment, but after looking back I did good to get that time. The winner was 6 minutes off of last year's pace, so I figure that I could've easily done 3 hr. 50 min which would've been a PR for me. I learned a lot about myself this race and will be mentally stronger because of it. It's challenging to keep pushing forward when all is grey and seems hopeless and you have rain blowing in your face. Thanks to Leigh and the kids for being there to support me and give me the lift and inspiration to finish. It was no coincidence that they made it just in time to see me run by in the canyon. Thanks for being my rock.

Love,

Lou
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Faires Bears and Toads said...

You are awesome Lou! We are so proud of you. You did a fantastic job. Thanks for making our trip so enjoyable.

Sherrie said...

It's too bad it rained! But what an amazing feat! James doesn't think he'll be joining you guys any time soon, something about an achy knee...Great job!!

Melanie said...

Way to go Lou! What an amazing accomplishment to run a marathon and to do it in the POURING rain! Awesome! I wish we could have seen you guys.

Sonda said...

You rock, Lou! I can't imagine running for 4 hours straight AND in the rain. It's too bad Dave couldn't run with you. He's always wanted tobeat the 4 hour mark. Good Job!

Hunkey Dorey Down South said...

Congrats Lou!!! Now you can go and relax on your Cruise!! Maybe you can run the family up from Orlando to ATL??? Hint, Hint, Hint!!!!